The Maulana Abul Kalam Azad Trophy, popularly known as MAKA Trophy, is a sports honour in India. The award is named after Maulana Abul Kalam Azad, the first Minister of Education in independent India. Maulana Abul Kalam Azad Trophy is given to the universities for the overall top performance in sports & promoting competitive sports annually by the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports. Maulana Abul Kalam Azad Trophy prize money for the first place is ₹15 lakh (US$19,000)”. And for the second and third-place winning universities get ₹7.5 lakh (US$9,400) & ₹4.5 lakh (US$5,600) cash prizes respectively. In this article, we will share the Maulana Abul Kalam Azad Trophy 2022 Winners List and former winners over the years. Check out this article to know more!
Maulana Abul Kalam Azad Trophy 2022 Winners List
As per the recently issued statement by the Ministry of Youth Affairs & Sports, Govt. of India, the best performing university of the country in the field of sports has been chosen for this year. The honourable president of India will honour this prestigious trophy to the winners of this year on 30th November 2022 on Wednesday at Rashtrapati Bhavan, New Delhi. The Maulana Abul Kalam Azad Trophy 2022 Winners List is given below:
Name of the Winning University
Maulana Abul Kalam Azad (MAKA) Trophy Awardees
Guru Nanak Dev University, Amritsar
Prof. (Dr.) Jaspal Singh Sandhu, Vice-Chancellor
Dr Kanwar Mandeep Singh, Director Sports
Maulana Abul Kalam Azad Trophy winners list over the years
In this section, the Maulana Abul Kalam Azad Trophy winners list over the years will be mentioned. The list will include Maulana Abul Kalam Azad Trophy 2015 winners till now.
|Year||Name of the winning university|
|Maulana Abul Kalam Azad Trophy 2015 winner||Punjabi University|
|Maulana Abul Kalam Azad (MAKA) Trophy winner 2015-2016||Punjabi University|
|MAKA Trophy winner 2016-2017||Punjabi University|
|Winner of MAKA trophy 2017–2018||Guru Nanak Dev University, Amritsar|
|Maulana Abul Kalam Azad Trophy 2019 winner||Punjabi University|
|Maulana Abul Kalam Azad Trophy 2020 winner||Punjabi University|
|Maulana Abul Kalam Azad trophy 2021 winner||Punjab University|
|Maulana Abul Kalam Azad trophy 2022 winner||Guru Nanak Dev University, Amritsar|
Maulana Abul Kalam Azad (MAKA) Trophy: Objectives
The Maulana Abul Kalam Azad Trophy is given for some specific objectives. The details are mentioned below.
- The main objective of this award is to promote competitive games and sports among colleges and universities.
- The universities which have performed well in sports and games are given this award to honour or recognise their achievements.
- Another purpose of this award is to motivate universities to broaden bias and promote excellence in the field of sports.
- The trophy motivates the integration of sports and physical fitness in universities and colleges.
- The MAKA Trophy encourages dope-free sports culture among college students and youth.
Eligibility Criteria for Winning the MAKA Trophy
Eligibility criteria to win this prestigious award are described in the following sections.
Eligibilities for Universities
- Only the universities recognized by Government/UGC will be eligible for nomination under this program.
Eligible Sports Disciplines
- There are some conditions for the Sports Disciplines which are to be considered as follows:
- The sports disciplines should be recognized by the MYAS and they should also be part of the Olympics/ Commonwealth Games/ Asian Games.
- Apart from these Sports Disciplines, there are given a few disciplines that will be included based on popularity or indignity. Which are Chess, Kho-kho and Cricket.
Maulana Abul Kalam Azad Trophy prize money
University that secures first place will be conferred with the MAKA Trophy. It is a rolling Trophy with prize money of Rs15 Lakhs. The second and third winners will be given Rs 7.5 Lakhs and Rs 4.5 Lakhs respectively. The Vice-Chancellor and Director (Physical Education/Sports) of the award-winning university may receive this honourable award.
The prize money received by the winning universities should be spent on sports promotion. It can include the opening of the Centre of Excellence, training of the athletes, the creation & upgradation of infrastructure, and cash awards to sportspersons, etc.
Maulana Abul Kalam Azad Trophy 2022 Winners List: FAQs
The Maulana Abul Kalam Azad Trophy 2022 Winners List has been mentioned in the above article. Please go through it to know more!
If you wonder, the Maulana Abul Kalam Azad Trophy is associated with which sports? The trophy is not given to any specific game. This award refers to the all-around best performance of the universities in sports at National and International competitions.
Guru Nanak Dev University, Amritsar is the first-prize winner this year.
The winner that holds first place gets prize money of Rs15 Lakhs. The second and third winners will be given Rs 7.5 Lakhs and Rs 4.5 Lakhs respectively.
The universities recognized by Government/UGC will be eligible to be nominated under this program.