The Pradhan Mantri Matru Vandana Yojana (PMMVY) is a Centrally Sponsored Direct Benefit Transfer (DBT) scheme that provides a monetary incentive of Rs. 5000/- (in three installments) to Pregnant as well as lactating ladies. This initiative, formerly known as the Indira Gandhi Matritva Sahyog Yojana, is a government-run maternity benefit programme in India. Read this article till the end to know all the major details of the PMMVY scheme.
Pradhan Mantri Matru Vandana Yojana – What is PMMVY ?
In India, one out of every three women is malnourished, and one out of every two women is anaemic. A malnourished mother nearly always delivers a baby with very less weight during the birth. Pradhan Mantri Matru Vandana Yojana is a maternity benefit scheme that went into force on January 1, 2017 in all districts of the country. The Indian Ministry WCD is tasked for the charge of implementing this federally funded programme and closely monitors the scheme. Pregnant women receive cash benefits straight into their bank accounts to fulfill their increased nutritional requirements and partly compensate for wage loss. It was first introduced in 2010 and its name was modified in 2017. The Ministry of Women and Child Development is in charge of implementing the programme.
Objectives of PMMVY
- Providing economic incentives as part of the wage loss compensation so that the lady can get enough rest before and after the birth of the first alive child.
- The monetary incentive that is provided to the beneficiary would motivate and encourage pregnant ladies and lactating mothers to seek medical help.
Beneficiaries of PMMVY
The Pradhan Mantri Matru Vandana Yojana targets the following beneficiaries-
- Pregnant Women and Lactating Women, except those employed in Central/ State Govt or PSUs.
- A beneficiary’s date and stage of pregnancy will be counted in relation to her LMP date as shown on her MCP card.
- All pregnant ladies and lactating women who are expecting their first child on or after 1st Jan, 2017.
Registration under Pradhan Mantri Matru Vandana Yojana
- To help single mothers and abandoned mothers, the government has stated that Aadhaar of Husbands is not required under the Pradhan Mantri Matru Vandana Yojana.
- Eligible women who wish to receive maternity benefits must register with the scheme at an Anganwadi Centre or any other approved health facility, as determined by the State/implementing UT’s department.
- The beneficiary must submit the required application titled Form 1-A, which must be completely and duly filled out.
- The beneficiary must note that the form is free of cost in AWC and it can also be downloaded online from the official website.
Eligibility ForPradhan Mantri Matru Vandana Yojana (PMMVY) – Check Criteria Here
The following is the eligibility criteria for the PMMVY-
- In the situation of a miscarriage or stillbirth, the beneficiary is entitled to the remaining installment(s) in the event of a subsequent pregnancy.
- Age limit is 19 years or above.
- The beneficiary is entitled to receive the benefits only once under this yojana.
- If the beneficiary experiences a miscarriage after receiving the first instalment, she will only be eligible for the second and third instalments if she has another pregnancy, provided she meets the scheme’s eligibility criteria and conditions.
- If a beneficiary has already received all benefits of the maternity allowance under PMMVY, she will not be able to claim payments under the scheme in the event of infant mortality.
What Benefits Are Provided To Under Pradhan Mantri Matru Vandana Yojana?
On meeting the following conditions, beneficiaries will receive a cash benefit of Rs. 5,000 in three installments-
- Pregnancy should be registered as soon as possible.
- Prenatal examination
- Registration of the child’s birth and completion of the first immunization cycle for the family’s first living child.
Also, the Janani Suraksha Yojana also provides monetary incentives to eligible beneficiaries. As a result, on average, a woman receives Rs. 6,000.
As stated above, the targeted beneficiaries receive a cash benefit of Rs. 5,000 under PMMVY scheme and the installment breakup with respect to certain conditions is as follows-
|1st Installment||Early Registration of pregnancy||Rs. 1,000|
|2nd Installment||Received min. 1 ANC (which can be claimed after 6 months of pregnancy)||Rs. 2,000|
|3rd Installment||1. Child Birth is registered|
2. Child has received the first cycle of vaccination of BCG, OPV,DPT and Hepatitis-B shots or its substitute.
The beneficiary is entitled to Rs. 5,000. Please check the above section of this post to learn more about the benefits under PMMVY.
Indira Gandhi Matritva Sahyog Yojana was the former name of Pradhan Mantri Matru Vandana Yojana.
This scheme was introduced in 2010 for the first time in India.
Please read the above section of this post to know about the eligibility criteria of this yojana.
Pregnant ladies as well as lactating mothers of 19 years and above are eligible for the benefits under this scheme.