The Pradhan Mantri Uchchatar Shiksha Protsahan Yojana is a scholarship program established by the Government of India to help deserving students pursue higher education. The scheme’s goal is to promote higher education and encourage deserving students to pursue advanced degrees in basic and applied sciences, engineering, and technology. It provides financial assistance to students engaged in undergraduate, postgraduate, and doctorate programs at accredited Indian universities, colleges, and institutions. PMUSPY also encourages institutions to improve their infrastructure and educational quality, notably in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM). The initiative has had a significant influence on encouraging higher education and has assisted countless worthy individuals in pursuing their educational goals.
Pradhan Mantri Uchchatar Shiksha Protsahan Yojana – Eligibility Criteria
- Those who scored higher than the 80th percentile of successful applicants in the relevant stream in Class XII of the 10+2 pattern or equivalent;
- Undertaking traditional degree programs rather than correspondence or online learning, or pursuing diploma programs;
- Studying in colleges/institutions approved by the All India Council for Technical Education and the respective regulatory bodies;
- With no other scholarship schemes, including state-run scholarship schemes/fee waiver and reimbursement schemes;
- Scholarships are available to students having a gross parental/family income of up to Rs. 4.5 lakh per year. Only new applicants will be needed to provide an income certificate.
- Students who change colleges/institutes of study will be able to continue/renew their scholarship as long as the course of study and the institution has a valid AISHE Code. The AISHE code can be found at https://aishe.gov.in/aishe/aisheCode.
- Students who did not apply for renewal of application online on NSP will be able to apply for renewal of the scholarship for the next year on NSP if they meet the eligibility criteria for renewal
- In addition to receiving at least 50% in the Annual Examination, maintaining satisfactory attendance of at least 75% will be required for scholarship renewal in each year of study. Complaints against a student for any disciplined or illegal activity, including ragging, would result in scholarship forfeiture. Beneficiaries/ Applicants under the scheme must apply online through the National Scholarships Portal (www.scholarships.gov.in) for fresh/ renewal scholarships. Direct applications to the Ministry of Education for new or renewed positions will not be allowed.
Students from restricted categories/weaker sections/minorities, etc., are eligible for merit-based reservation, subject to Central Reservation. Policy [i.e., 15% of seats are reserved for SCs, 7.5% for STs, 27% for OBCs, and 5% for People with Disabilities (PwDs) across all categories]. The Central Reservation Policy will be used to fill the slots against the annual target. If a certain group’s slots are not full after considering all states/UTs, the unfilled slots will be allocated to other categories so that the largest number of qualified students can benefit, subject to the total slot ceiling.
Check the latest updates below-
Pradhan Mantri Uchchatar Shiksha Protsahan Yojana – Procedure for Application
- Applications are only accepted online. The MeITY, Govt. of India’s DIGILOCKER function is used to verify students’ credentials like as caste, educational qualifications, and so on.
- The timelines for launching and closing the National Scholarships Portal (NSP) (www.scholarships.gov.in) will be provided.
- The NSP shall govern the application, verification, selection, and disbursement of scholarships.
- On NSP, a selection list would be formed and shown.
- Online applications will be evaluated at two levels: first by the Institute where the student is enrolled, and then by the related State Higher Education Department or any other Agency/Official designated by the State as the State Nodal Agency (both for fresh and renewal applicants).
- The most recent Timelines guidelines will be made available on NSP.
- Students will not be permanently prevented from receiving scholarships as a result of delays in renewal or verification. Students must, however, submit renewal applications by a certain deadline. Renewal for that year will be denied if an applicant fails to meet this deadline.
Benefits of Pradhan Mantri Uchchatar Shiksha Protsahan Yojana
The Pradhan Mantri Uchchatar Shiksha Protsahan Yojana provides several benefits to eligible students, which are as follows:
- Financial Assistance: The scheme provides financial assistance to the meritorious students of the country to pursue higher education without any financial burden on their families.
- Scholarship Amount: The eligible students can receive a scholarship amount of up to Rs. 80,000 per annum, which covers tuition fees, examination fees, library fees, laboratory fees, and other related fees.
- Monthly Allowance: In addition to the scholarship amount, the students also receive a monthly allowance of Rs. 2,500 for a period of 10 months in a year to meet their other expenses, such as books, stationery, and hostel charges.
- Direct Benefit Transfer (DBT): The scholarship amount is directly transferred to the bank account of the student through the Direct Benefit Transfer (DBT) mode, which ensures transparency and timely disbursement of the funds.
- Promotes Higher Education: The scheme aims to promote higher education in the country by providing financial assistance to deserving students and encouraging them to pursue higher studies.
- Boosts Merit: The scheme provides financial assistance to the meritorious students of the country, which boosts their morale and encourages them to perform better in their studies.
- Equal Opportunity: The scheme provides equal opportunity to all eligible students of the country, irrespective of their financial background, to pursue higher education and achieve their career goals.
FAQs on Pradhan Mantri Uchchatar Shiksha Protsahan Yojana
The Pradhan Mantri Uchchatar Shiksha Protsahan Yojana (PMUSSY) is a scholarship scheme launched by the Government of India to provide financial assistance to meritorious students from economically weaker sections to pursue higher education.
The students who have secured admission in the first year of any undergraduate or postgraduate program in a recognized institution and whose family income is less than Rs. 4.5 lakhs per annum are eligible for the PM-USP scheme.
The eligible students can receive a scholarship amount of up to Rs. 80,000 per annum, which covers tuition fees, examination fees, library fees, laboratory fees, and other related fees.
Yes, the scholarship amount is directly transferred to the bank account of the student through the Direct Benefit Transfer (DBT) mode, which ensures transparency and timely disbursement of the funds.
The PM-USP scheme provides financial assistance to the meritorious students of the country, promotes higher education, boosts merit, provides equal opportunity, and encourages students to pursue higher studies without any financial burden on their families.